Monday, November 3, 2014

STEM to STEAM Fills me with Pride.

Reflective Teacher Challenge Day 3
What are you most proud of to date in your teaching career?


I absolutely love finding new and inspiring ways of integrating Art into STEM. 



Researching standards from multiple subject areas is both fun and challenging. This past weekend I spent countless hours researching space related standards for science in grades k - 6. I have to say I was shocked to see how little we expect these kids to know! Really! Are we living in the stone age?



After thinking and overthinking how I would combine space in science 


with space in art...


I decided to broaden my learning goals for my students and came up with integrated concepts I am really excited about.

"I will be able to use the elements of art to create a visual representation 

 of my understanding of space."


Of course the understanding part is scaffolded between grade levels according the standards but that's the jest of it. So excited to start this unit! It was a great day today as every class spent the day outside exploring or place in space.


No comments:

Post a Comment