Wednesday, February 3, 2016

That Feeling You Get...


This is exactly how I feel right now! 


Transforming my art room into a choice based environment has had its challenges this year. 


Among these I have experienced:

Lack of student autonomy/creativity
Struggles with effective monitoring
Consistently integrating STEAM
Teaching the Elements of Art
Teaching the Principles of Design
Chaos?!

But, transforming my art room into a choice based environment has by had amazing rewards!!


Among these I have happily experienced:

Student autonomy
Rebirth of creativity
Students self monitoring
Student lead STEAM integration
Student identifying and using the Elements of Art
Students identifying and using the Principles of Design
Organized Chaos ;-p

But the reason for my feeling of excitement on this day? It's really all about me. ;-) I have been working and struggling with the monitoring piece and effectively teaching the elements of art and principles of design pieces. Today, (finally!) I am so excited because I feel like I am SO close to a breakthrough!

I've been playing with my artist's statement template for several weeks now and been trying to incorporate some of the pieces from each grade level standards into a concise, fun to fill out, easy to understand, single sheet piece of paper. And although it's not perfect, it is so much closer to being exactly what I want than anything I have come up with before.

So I thought I would share my "almost" breakthrough moment. Now I still have a way to go but I think I am finally on the right track for figuring out what will hopefully work for each grade level.

Below I have some pictures of K, 1, 2, 3. Still working with 4 - 5. I would love to hear what fellow art teacher think or ideas that you have used in your choice based classroom.

Thanks!


In grade k - 2 I have structured it as the I-spy game for the elements of art. My vocabulary used is pulled from what my district has listed for each grade level.

Kindergarten



First



Second



Third














No comments:

Post a Comment